Gunner Orion VanOstrand
We started with a KTM 65sx, and we hopped it up.
When did you first become interested in your sport? What or who influenced your involvement?
I was about 7 years old and wanted to ride. My Dad would give me rides in our field.
2. When did you begin participating? How has your involvement evolved?
I was almost 8 when my Dad got me an Apallo 70 on our way home from Utah. The next weekend we were at Sandy Valley mx. I think I have become a pretty good rider with a long way to go.
3. What do you love most about your sport?
I love to jump. I love the speed of it.
4. If you had to describe your sport in 5 words or less, how would you describe it?
Best sport EVER!
5. What is it about the sport that is most exciting to you? Competition? Risk? Innovation? Other?
I love the the competition, the danger and the risk. I love to win. But I know I won’t always win, otherwise it would be called a win and not a race.
6. If you didn’t compete or participate in your sport what else would you be doing?
Maybe side by sides or smaller trophy trucks.
7. What are your short and long term goals? What do you see yourself achieving?
Short term goals are to prepare myself for mammoth. Then loretta Lynn’s. Beyond that I want to race Supercross.
8. How do you prepare or set yourself up for success? What do you do that is above and beyond?
I try to stay on a bike all the time. I live in Sandy Valley NV, so we don’t have the same issues with riding as people who live in las vegas. I practice hard and try to keep up with the big bikes. As long as I’m on a bike I will get better.
9. What is something people would never guess or believe about you?
My name means bold warrior, and my middle name is after a Metallica song.
10. What are the greatest obstacles you face? How do you overcome them?
I’m pretty small for my age. I try not to let it get in my way to much though.
11. Have you faced critics and naysayers? How do you handle the negativity?
I haven’t really had any of that yet. I’m just trying to have fun.
12. What are your greatest successes?
Placing in race’s so far. Any day on a podium is a great day.
13. What are your biggest mistakes? What did you learn from them?
I’m only 10 so I haven’t really had any. Not listening to my Dad I guess. This sport has brought us together and Givin us lots of family time. We are a team.
14. What advice would you give to a newcomer?
Never give up. Keep pushing. It’s hard but if you want it bad enough, never give up.
15. Who do you follow, admire or aspire to be like? Why?
I like Axle Hodges. The thing he does on a bike is amazing.